Hi, I am Pier!
Data Scientist at SAS and MSc in Artificial Intelligence graduate with an interest in research areas such as Data Science, Machine Learning, and Cloud Development. Aside from my work activities, I am a freelancer and technical writer for Towards Data Science (an online publication with two million annual readers).
- SAS Institute (Data Scientist)
As part of my role at SAS, I am currently working with the Data Science team in order to help our customers solving various data-driven challenges using Cloud-based technologies and DevOps processes. SAS is a leader in data analytics with more than 40 years of experience and representing about 92% of the US Fortune 100 companies.
- MSc Artificial Intelligence (University of Southampton)
Distinction (86%). Artificial Intelligence Society Committee member and Microsoft Student Partner.
- Digital-Dandelion (Research Data Scientist)
As a Research Data Scientist, I collaborated with a variety of business clients in sectors such as finance, retail and e-commerce. In each business project, I worked with clients to plan and deliver specialised solutions to solve their commercial data problems. One of the most interesting projects I worked on was analysing how changes in Stock Prices can affect different company shares parameters (Level 2 Data) and how these can be predicted. To do so, different techniques such as Feature Selection/Engineering and Ensemble Learning have been employed. This role has developed my ability to work to a deadline to produce an excellent product, utilising technologies such as Google Cloud APIs, A/B testing and version control tools (e.g. Git).
- ION Group (Service Delivery Developer Intern)
- BEng Electronic Engineering (University of Southampton)
Graduated with First-Class Honours Degree (78.68%).
- Documation Software LTD (Software Developer Intern)
Created and implemented two programs using UIPath as a Robotic Process Automation tool to automate supplier’s registration and creation of invoices into financial systems (Sage 50). The two developed programs have then been successfully deployed to production and used by Documation and its customers. Their application has been proved to speed up processes up to three times.
- University of Southampton (ECS Research Intern)
Designed the chip and board layout for a monolithic quantum dot enhanced micro‐display demonstrator device (Micro-LED). This project was carried out in collaboration with a University in Hong Kong to research how to improve the efficiency of next-generation Micro-LED displays.
- Barclays (Technology Spring Intern)
Attended an Insight Program for Barclays in Glasgow during which I had shadowing sessions for both roles of Developer and Business Analyst. Thanks to this experience I gained a greater understanding of the financial market and of the increasing impact technology is going to have in this environment (e.g. AI, Big Data and APIs).
- Towards Data Science Associate Editor and Writer.
- freeCodeCamp, KDNuggets, Changes Unipol and Tech4future Contributor.
- Open Data Science Conference 2020 (Europe): Took part at the 2020 Open Data Science Conference as a team member of the SAS UK booth, in order to showcase the latest advancements of the SAS Viya data analytics platform.
- Mobile World Congress 2019: Attended the 2019 Mobile World Congress in Los Angeles (USA) as press member to find out how upcoming 5G technologies can be used to enhance AI powered applications.
Awards & Scholarships
- Awarded various technical cloud certifications on platforms such as Credly, Microsoft Learn and Google Cloud Training.
- Hursley Prize for Outstanding Computer Science Project 2018/19 (Dissertation: 89%).
- Electronics and Computer Science 2016 Excellence Scholarship - monetary award for exceeding university requirements.
Communities & Open Source
- AWS Community Builder (2021-Present):
- Open Source Contributions (2018-Present): Worked on various open source projects using programming languages such as Python and R (more than 250 followers on GitHub). Some of my most interesting projects regarding topics such as Computational Finance and Reinforcement Learning are currently available in my Artificial Intelligence Projects GitHub repository.
- Microsoft Student Ambassador (2019-2020): As part of my Master Degree, I have been a Microsoft ambassador at the University of Southampton. Thanks to this role, I had the opportunity to organise and present Workshops and Hackathons events using Microsoft Azure technologies.
- Artificial Intelligence Society (2019-2020): I have been a founding committee member of the University of Southampton Artificial Intelligence Society for which I organised workshops covering topics such as Machine Learning deployment and Natural Language Processing.
Hackathons & Events
- TEDxLondon Volunteer 2021.
- Google BGN 2019 London Hackathon.
- Facebook London Hack 2019: First Challenge Winner.
- Hack The South 2019: Best Hardware Prize Winner.
- Facebook Analytics Academy 2018.
- J.P. Morgan: Introduction to Big Data Analytics using Spark and Python 2018 (Spark data-set challenge winner).
- Microsoft: Deep Learning Data Analysis in Azure Workshop.
- Maquaire Technology Spotlight 2017.
- Intel Buzz Workshop London 2017.
- BMC (Bloomberg Markets Concepts).
A more comprehensive list of the different professional certifications I achieved is available at this link.
- Cloud Computing
- R Programming
- Robotic Process Automation (e.g. UIPath)